If you are expecting a baby, then the first thing that you need to do is make sure that you are in perfect health, with regular weekly checkups with your doctor. But apart from this, you may also need to get your home, as well as your car ready and prepped in advance. There are few things that you can do to ensure that your car is baby proofed. Just check out the checklist posted below,
- Car seat: Choosing the right car seat can be quite tricky for the simple reason that there are more than a few brands in the market and often choosing the right one can be downright confusing. Given the sheer variety that’s currently available, that is to be expected – from car seats, full convertible, booster seats and the list goes on. Before purchasing a car seat, you may want to check out its ratings, and determine if it is in the right size for your infant and can be fixed to your car safely. Just remember that various car seats come with different designs and not all of them may fit properly in your car. And that is all the more reason for you to want to check In with a mechanic and determine if the car seat in question is the right one for your car or not.
- Register your car seat: Once you have gotten your car seat installed safely in your car, you need to register the same with the manufacturer. You should usually get a postcard as you purchase your car seat, and furthermore, it is essential that you register your car seat with the manufacturer so that they can update you in case of a product recall. Or if you do develop an issue with the car seat, you can always contact them and get the same replaced.
- Back seat mirror: Chances are that you would not require one as an adult but however, if you happen to have an infant, then it makes good sense for you to install a mirror at the back so that you can review and monitor your infant, in real time. This assumes importance if your infant is in the car seat, located at the back and all on his own. And that’s why you need to ensure that you install a functional back seat mirror.
- Get your car installation checked: Once you have installed the car seat, you may want to get your mechanic to check it out and ensure that you have installed the car seat correctly. Granted that even though the shop often says that it is easy to install the car seat, the actual process can be a tad hard. And that is all the more reason that you need to get your installation checked out professionally so that you would know the right way to install the car sea, each time you want to take out your baby for a short drive.
- Safety checks: Before you turn on the ignition key, you need to run over your safety checklist – you need to make sure that your baby’s car seat is installed correctly and that your child is safely esconded in the same. You also need to check all the belts and buckles and ensure that the car seat is safely secured against any sudden jolts, movements.
These are few things that you need to do to get your car ready for transporting your baby home from the hospital.